Llucmajor – Mallorca: a little bit of History
The name Llucmajor probably comes from the Latin LUCUS MAIORIS, wich means greater forest.It is very likely that the farm Llucmajor was full by a large forest. This th seems to be the only accepted.
The prehistoric set of Capocorb Vell, in the south of the municipality,is the most known exponent of the island of the la Bronce Age. It is one of the most important towns in the Western Mediterranean, thanks to its conservation. Also, it is one of the first places of Mallorca that haven been excavated and studied, and also one of the most extensive.
Until the arrival of Christianity, Phoenicians, Greeks, Carthaginians and Romans left their mark on Llucmajor. The only testimony of those times is a fragmented gravestone, which was found in the Navy. This headstone contains a single Word, as a toponym “Egnatuleia”.
On 31 December 1229, the island of Mallorca was conquered by King Jaume I, beginning another period of prosperity. Later, in the year 1300, his son Jaume II founded the town of Llucmajor.
The decadence of the Kingdom of Mallorca culminated in the most important milestone of our history: The Battle of Llucmajor, was occurred on october 25, 1349. In it, Jaume III, the last King of Mallorca, lost his live and his kingdom, being thus annexed to the Kingdom of Aragon.
During the fourteenth to eighteenth centuries, the south coast of Mallorca was subjected to the constant threat of corsair expeditions that did not allow the rest of the defenders of the Majorcan coasts. Nowadays, the defense and guard towers of S’Estalella, Cap Blanc, Cap Enderrocat and Cala Pi are still the latent testimony of those struggles.
By Royal Decree of October 3, 1916, King Alfonso XIII granted Llucmajor the title of city.
Until beginning of the the 20th century, there was a vigorous agricultura and a large cattle herd in Llucmajor. Llucmajor had and important footwear industry; Now replaced by the Hotel, the industry of sausages and liqueurs, as well as an outstanding craftsmanship of Stone, iron and wood.
With an area of 325 km², the municipality of Llucmajor is the most extensive in Mallorca, 15 minutes from Son Sant Joan airport and 20 minutes from Palma.
¿What can we visit in Llucmajor?
The “Placeta del Sabater” (Plaza del Zapatero) , popularly known as the jardinet ” (the garden), has a triangular Surface and in its center is a monument, composed of Stone of Santanyí, with which is honored to the cobblers, profession of the most inhabitants of Llucmajor until the 70’s of the last century. The work of the sculptor Tomás Vila, inaugurated in 1963, represents differente scenes of this office.
The Statue of King Jaume III
In the center of Llucmajor, visitors can admire buildings with character, modernist facades, que which were built at the beginning of the 20th century, influenced by the artistic current of the moment. Among them we can mention: “Ca Ses Xilenes” (house of the Chilenas), “Colón” Cafe, Antic Hotel España, Tabu Bar or “La Caixa” building.
The current parish church of Sant Miquel , the work of the architect Isidro González Velázquez, was built on a Gothic style from 1386. It is traditional and classicist, with Baroque influence and lacking in architectural ornamentation, notable for its grandeur and bell tower of colosal altitude.
Las obras empezaron en 1784 y finalizaron presumiblemente hacia 1866, fecha que figura sobre el portal mayor. En esta iglesia descansaron los restos mortales del Rey Jaume III antes de ser trasladados a la Catedral de Palma.
The current parish church of Sant Miquel, the work of the architect Isidro González Velázquez, was built on a Gothic style from 1386. It is traditional and classicist, with Baroque influence and lacking in architectural ornamentation, notable for its grandeur and bell tower Of colossal altitude.
The works began in 1784 and ended presumably towards 1866, date that appears on the greater portal. In this church rested the mortal remains of King Jaume III before being transferred to the Cathedral of Palma.
The Town Hall was inaugurated on January 27, 1884. It has four floors and a roof and on the facade you can see a lower Mallorcan marble cladding.The portal is flanked by two Windows, on which appears in Stone letters “House Consistorial, year 1882”, in addition to the shield of the city . Entering the building, you will find on the left side the old shield of the city of Llucmajor, dating from 1626.
The Fish Market (former fishmonger), whose construction was completed in 1916 and which alredy had gas installation for lighting, is the work of the architect Jaume Alenyar. The building is of modernist character, with a simple structure and a single floor with few decorative elements.Today the Tourist Office of Llucmajor is nowadays open.
The Convent and church of Sant Bonaventura. In 1608, the Franciscan settled in the present site and the church was built between 1620 and 1656. The convent was built after the temple in the second half of the seventeenth century. The convent, in Renaissance style as well as sober and elegant lines, was the penultimate one founded by the Franciscans in Mallorca.(With its mural paintings and painted tiles, as well as the trail of Father Boscana who also came to California, after the footsteps of Junípero Serra).
The statue of “S’Espigolera”, located in front of the Convent of Sant Bonaventura and made in bronze in 1965 by the sculptor Horacio de Eguía, illustrates a girl with braids, dressed in the typical Mallorcan costume and carryng a bundle of spikes. The monument is dedicated to Maria Antonia Salvá, poetess of the city, whose poems describe the life in the countryside.
Tourist Office Information
Plaça d'Espanya, 12 Llucmajor (07620) MALLORCA. Spain.
Tel: +34 971 66 91 62